You’re probably going to be surprised about what foods can and can’t kill you. Actually, let me be more pointed here and say that you ARE going to be surprised. Many of the things on this list are perfectly fine to eat normally, but can be dangerous if you catch them at the wrong time of year, or if you eat the seeds.
You may think you eat healthy, but let me assure you, you’re going to be worrying about putting these food items in your grocery cart after reading this.
In some parts of the world, people eat octopus alive. Yes, alive. No, if it’s cooked it isn’t dangerous, so you boujee people can still enjoy cooked octopus.
But, the practice can be fairly dangerous because the suckers can get caught in your throat and cause asphyxiation. Not the best death.
It should be pointed out that tomatoes were linked to salmonella poisonings from 1990 to 2005. But, the most poisonous part of the fruit is in the leaves and the stem.
The plant contains alkaloid tomatine, and the effect on the human body has not been studied. They also contain solanine, which is also toxic in large quantities.
Not only will eating a lot of elderberries make your more wise, and smart, but it could also kill you too. I didn’t mean to take that from 0-100 there, but it’s the truth.
Elderberries are used in sodas and medicines but they can mess you up if you’re not careful. The cyanide build-up is real.
Peaches are fantastic. If you’re a normal person and just eat a peach the way that you’re supposed to, you don’t have anything to worry about.
But, if you decide to be a mutant and want to eat the pit, you’re going to be in for a poisonous ride that you can’t get off.
I know the term “salmonella” actually sounds quite pleasant. It’s a word that you feel like should be a type of cheesecake or something. But, it’s far from pleasant.
Crushing some raw meat isn’t the only way for you to contract some salmonella. If you decided to eat uncooked eggs for whatever crazy reason, it’s a possibility too.
This is where things start to get interesting. You know how you love eating a handful of cherries on a hot day? Well, it seems that you should be extra careful because the pits are poisonous.
Their pits, or if you’re a fruit genius, the “seeds” of a cherry, contain hydrogen cyanide. Not good.
This is probably one of the most common allergies. They can cause anaphylaxis, which is a constriction of the airway and trouble breathing. The immune system identifies peanut proteins as something harmful, so it sends out symptom-causing chemicals into the blood stream.
If these symptoms are left untreated, they can fatal.
If you’re wondering how you can avoid getting apricot poisoning, it’s pretty easy. Just eat it like a human. Just bite into the fruit and get it down to the pit.
Once you get to the pit, throw it out. The pit contains a poisonous substance that can be very harmful if it’s ingested.
I know what you’re thinking — “these are nuts, and people have nut allergies” but you’re wrong. Almonds are actually seeds. Second of all, they are very healthy so don’t stop eating them.
But, they do contain cyanide in their raw form. This is why bitter almonds need to be treated before consumption. Five to ten raw ones can kill an adult human.
This shouldn’t be too much of a problem. But the pit contains cyanogenic compounds that the body uses to create cyanide.
Just a head up, you’re going to see A LOT of cyanide in this list and it’s mildly concerning. I think I’m going to stick to candy instead of some of these fruits.
Not many people can say they’ve been poisoned by potatoes. I mean, not a lot of people are aware that their stems and leaves are actually poisonous.
That’s why most potato-related deaths are the result of eating a green potato (which is gross) or drinking potato-leaf tea (which is also gross).
Rhubarb leaves contain poisonous substances like oxalic acid, which is a corrosive acid that is present in many plants. Humans have been poisoned by it a lot, specifically in World War I when the leaves were mistakenly recommended as a food source in Britain.
While they make pretty good desserts, they also can cause some serious respiratory problems and even death.
There are quite a few people who are allergic to shellfish. Allergies to shellfish usually occur in teenagers and young adults, and rarely in children. Some shellfish contain arsenic which can trigger an allergic reaction.
If you’re wondering what seafood fits into this category, just, uh, look for the shells I guess.
Okay, if you’ve seen the cinnamon challenge on the internet, you know how messed up internet culture really is (don’t get me started with tide pods). Not only does cinnamon make your mouth the next coming of the Sahara desert, but it also could kill you.
If it gets into your lungs through inhalation, there could be some serious problems, including death.
Lima contains a very toxic chemical called linamarin. If you eat these beans uncooked it can be very hazardous for your health.
Once the uncooked bean is exposed to enzymes in the human intestine it can decompose into the toxin hydrogen cyanide. It’s incredibly important that you cook the beans before eating them.
Salmonella is no joke. I know there are some aliens out there who like to eat their steak as close to raw as they can (there’s even a trend toward raw chicken).
But, I can guarantee after getting salmonella poisoning they’ll be at least a few fans of medium rare.
Mushrooms are a wild card. Some of them go perfectly on top of your pizza, or in a pasta sauce, while others can kill you instantly. Even worse? They basically all look the same.
So I think there’s a rule that we should all follow: don’t eat the wild mushrooms. Simple.
Did you know that apples have cyanide embedded in them? The saying should be, “an apple a day will make the doctor never go away.”
Okay, the cyanide is in the apple seeds and there are just trace amounts. With that being said, if you decide you want to eat a handful of apple seeds just for kicks, you’ll have some problems.
Some people just love their nutmeg, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But, every year there are a few cases of myristicin poisoning due to excessive amounts of consumption.
If you’re a nutmeg lover and seem to get violently ill, hallucinate randomly, or hav irrational behavior, you might be eating too much.
Okay hot dog lovers, hold your mustard for a second. No, the ingredients in hot dogs aren’t that dangerous (they aren’t that healthy either, so be careful).
But, they are one of the most common reasons that children choke. So, I think it’s important to be aware of the danger.