Built between 1860 and 1861, the Octagon House on Gough Street in San Francisco holds a significant amount of history. Its first owners were a couple who met in the city and fell in love, both immigrants from the east coast. After the McElroy family moved out, the uniquely-shaped home suffered incredible damage in the 7.9 magnitude earthquake that destroyed 80% of the city. Nearly 100 years later, after being abandoned, rumors of ghosts, and narrowly escaping demolition, a historical society purchased the Octagon House. Once renovation began, an electrician discovered something incredible inside its walls.
William McElroy And Harriet Shober Moved To San Francisco Separately
In 1849, Harriet Shober moved to San Francisco from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Two years later, her future husband William C. McElroy, a wood miller, arrived in San Francisco from Martinsburg, Virginia. According to the National Society of the Colonial Dames Of America In California, documents show that McElroy also worked at flour mills in St. Louis, Missouri, before making his way to San Francisco.
In 1850, around the time he left the city, a massive fire had destroyed nine blocks of buildings along the St. Louis waterfront. Although not confirmed, it could be a reason that McElroy left for San Francisco.